I love whole wheat bread but here in Greece it’s hard to find the ones that really ARE whole wheat (it doesn’t help that I can’t properly read Greek..) and just because bread looks brown doesn’t mean it’s whole wheat at all..
So I had the plan for a while now to just make my own bread and here is the recipe of the bread I did a while ago:
- 2 1/2 cups of warm water
- 1 1/2 tsp dry active yeast
- 3 3/4 cups whole wheat flour and 2 1/2 cups later on
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 1/4 tbsp lemon juice
- chopped walnuts to your liking
- Mix together yeast and water and allow the yeast to proof for 5 minutes.
- Add 3 3/4 cup flour to yeast mixture and lest rest for 10 minutes.
- Add salt, oil, honey and lemon juice and mix for one minute.
- Add the remaining flour, 1 cup at a time, mixing between each cup.
- Knead for about 6 to 10 minutes until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl then mix in chopped walnuts and knead through again.
- Pre-heat oven for one minute to lukewarm and then turn off.
- Turn dough onto oiled counter top and shape into desired form (in my case I used a cake form).
- Place in oven and let it raise for about 20 minutes then immediately turn oven to 350 and bake for about 30 minutes.
Approx 110 calories per serving